13 January, 2011

An Afternoon at SFMOMA

Today my dad and I took a trip into San Francisco to expose ourselves to some culture at the Museum of Modern Art. The entire day, I kept having strange flashbacks to past times in London when I was walking around the rainy city to a gallery for class. My dad would remark how something (i.e. the weather, BART, etc) was just like London. My only reply would be, "Yes, but not really." I do miss that city terribly.

Anyway, after getting a wee bit lost, we arrive at MOMA! I love walking into a place, seeing a painting, and thinking Huh, I'm pretty sure I've written an essay question on that.


Such was the case with our good friend Monsieur Matisse here. He's lucky I like his paintings so much or else I might hold a grudge. Of course we saw other like a Picasso, a Dali, a Pollock and many many others I didn't know and cannot come close to even trying to understand what their art was trying to say. With modern art I just assume it's questioning "What is art?" and leave it at that.

It was the day of Henris, apparently, for there was a special exhibit for the photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson. He is an absolutely spectacular photojournalist able to capture a moment perfectly through the lens of a camera. Please look up his photographs. They're absolutely breath-taking.



Oh, and what is this? Is this a Cartier-Bresson portrait of Henri Matisse?
It is! Well, look at that. We've come full circle. Is your mind blown? Well mine was in the gallery.
(via)

After approximately three and a half hours of art gazing, we were in dire need of refreshment so we headed to the closest corner pub to grab a pint and reflect on the art we just saw . All in all, it was a fantastic bonding day between father and daughter.

No comments: